Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families.

Last year, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining announced students will be able to use SNAP in places on campus like the Flamingo Run Convenience Store.

“It would have been really helpful to have it when I was in residence halls because I think that when you’re getting close to the end of the semester and you’re kind of running low on funds, it’s like a huge stressor to think about,” senior Darby Hoffman said.

SNAP users will only be able to buy federally eligible grocery items. All students will have to do is go up to the register and swipe their Quest card.

“I didn’t use SNAP benefits until I came to school because I didn’t have any assistance from my parents for helping me pay with groceries. They took out a lot of loans for me so  they couldn’t put forth a lot more money, so I got SNAP,” recent graduate Ciara Bridges said.

While University Dining and Wisconsin Union officials say they are still working on the process of implementing SNAP and making it more widely accessible, the staff at Flamingo Run located within the Gordon Dining & Event center is ready to assist users.