Signing day is a special day not only for the universities involved, but the players as well. We were able to speak to a couple of local commits about their decision to sign with the Badgers.

In a year where sports have been impacted so heavily by the COVID-19 pandemic, the future looks bright for prep athletes Maty Wilke and Alexandra Cruz who signed their national letter of intent to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

For Wilke, the decision was pretty easy as she was recruited by the Badgers since middle school

“They started recruiting me when I was in 8th grade, so I got the chance to develop a really good relationship with the coaches and a lot of the players. I got to see the freshmen…when they became seniors so I got to see them develop which I thought that was pretty cool.”

But Wilke isn’t the only signee who developed a close relationship with the UW program. Edgewood center back Ally Cruz will join her sister Madeline next year on Wisconsin’s defense. Though the siblings are competitive with one another, Cruz is looking forward to playing with her sister again.

“I just think that it’s great because we’ve gotten really close over the years and I definitely think that she knows my potential and she’ll definitely tell me if I’m not playing like I should be.

As for what to expect from the new Badgers, both signees are excited about the opportunity and ready to contribute right away.

I’m good but I want to prove it and just being able to play with the Wisconsin jersey and hopefully change the program, that’s just so exciting to me. I’m so excited.

The main thing I will bring is that I like to consider myself a really big leader and coming in as a freshman I may not have the same impact, but I think that I’m a very vocal player and very physical and I will make sure the team is organized. So I think that I bring organizational skill.”

The future is bright for Wisconsin Athletics. Best of luck to both Ally and Maty in their careers at Wisconsin.