Tight End Troy Fumagalli of the Wisconsin Badgers is exceptional in more ways than one.

After walking onto the team in 2013 and red-shirting, Fumagalli was able to rise to the top of the pack as a Badger tight end. The six foot – eight inch senior became a team captain in 2017. Known for his abilities as a blocker and for having sure hands as a receiver, Fumagalli led the team in catches this season. And he’s received national attention as a finalist for the John Mackey Award – presented to the nation’s best tight end.

“Fumagalli may have some of the best hands in college football. But there’s something very unusual about one of those hands.”

“So when I was born, I had what’s called amniotic band syndrome, so my band got caught on my hand and I lost circulation, so I had my left index finger removed.”

Fumagalli may only have nine fingers, but he doesn’t see it as a disability or a disadvantage.

“Hasn’t bothered me at all. This has been something I’ve been able to adapt to and it’s part of me.”

Even though Fumagalli doesn’t see his missing finger as a disability, he has a message for kids who deal with challenges and want to succeed.

“Just don’t take no for an answer. You think you can do something, go out and do it.” 

Fumagalli has contributed to the Badgers consistently while playing Wisconsin. He’s had 127 career catches, 1596 career receiving yards, and seven touchdowns. He hopes to pad those stats in the Orange Bowl. For the Badger Report, I’m Madeline Westberg.